Nutritionists consider breakfast the most important meal of the day. Yet, too many of us go without breakfast on a regular basis. Before you skip this all-important part of your morning, think twice! When you wake up in the morning, you probably haven't eaten for up to 12 hours. So the first meal of the day is crucial, because it helps provide the body and brain with energy and nutrients after a night's sleep, and reboots your metabolism.
Still not convinced? Here are five benefits of eating a healthy breakfast:
- Breakfast eaters tend to weigh less than breakfast skippers!
- Eating breakfast improves your concentration and performance throughout the day!
- Breakfast gives you more strength and endurance to engage in physical activity
- Breakfast eaters have lower cholesterol levels and a lower Body Mass Index (BMI)
Breakfast & Kids
Eating breakfast is especially important for children! Kids who eat breakfast enjoy better health and fewer sick days from school, and a good breakfast makes it more likely that your child will meet his or her daily nutritional requirements and maintain a healthy weight. So, even if you are pressed for time in the mornings, make sure that your child has a nutritious breakfast before leaving for school. By doing this, you help enhance his or her mental and physical performance and learning throughout the day. In fact, studies have shown that children who regularly eat breakfast have better:
- Attention, concentration and class participation
- Memory retention and speech fluency
- Good social behaviour
- Love for school and interest in studying